Monday, January 2, 2012

2012, A year of building houses.

Happy New Year!!!

I have begun making my little houses. First a red and white one:






Since today is the second day of the year, here is my second house.

Charlevoix House.





These little houses finish at 3 inches, so take hardly any fabric to make. Like Jeanneke,  I am hand stitching mine. If you would like to join in there is a house button on my sidebar that will take you to the Building Houses From Scraps blog. All the instructions are there. These little houses are very addictive!!
I may not make all 366 houses, but it will be fun!

On the subject of building houses we got some good news last week. After 8 months my DD and DSIL finally got approval for their planning permit for their new home from their local council. There are a couple more hoops for them to jump through, but they should be able to start building in 2 or 3 weeks. :)

I did a little more sewing today and made a simple cover for my new ereader.






I had plans to make something far more complicated, but my brain refused to function in today's heat. It was well over 40 C (about 104 F) here today and it is still about 36 C (97 F) at 8:15 pm. We have had a cool start to summer, so this sudden heat has been difficult.

This year I am looking forward to continuing with the several projects I have already started and perhaps beginning something new. (After I have finished something, of course!! Lol)

I hope 2012 is a happy, prosperous and, most importantly, healthy year for everyone.

18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Miriam.
    Cute houses, looks like you are enjoying making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year,miriam,your houses are looking greatsusi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Hppies, Miriam - cute cover, I'm trying to buy one, not much luck!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new Year to you, Miriam.
    Like your work, and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable houses,, I am tempted but 3" is small! great ereader case, love the fabrics...I need to make one for my Ipad
    Happy New Year
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too Miriam! I adore those little house blocks, I am hugely tempted though I know I couldn't do one a day! So great your dd and her hubby can almost start building yay! Great ereader cover. Yes how hot is it? we spent most of the arvo in a friends pool. Looking forward to the cooler weather on Wed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your houses are so sweet! I'd love to do some house blocks, but had something a little bigger in mind. lol
    How do you like your ereader? Yummy fabric for the cover.
    Our weather has been unseasonably warm. I'm hoping for some snow this year.
    I so enjoy your lovely stitching. All the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that kind of heat never feels good does it. We have been having a warmer than usual start to winter - I am beginning to wonder if the whole winter will be like this. It would be nice, but then in the spring we always have more bugs if the winter has been warm.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your houses are so cute--I am going to have to add them to my growing list of must makes! Hope your weather cools down a bit (I struggle with the quick ups & downs of temperature too!) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful little houses! I hope to do a second today - or at least cut some pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the little houses! You will have to make your DD a house quilt for their new house :)
    You have been busy! Hopefully it will cool off for you. I can't imagine it being that warm on Jan 2!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. 8 months seems like a long time to wait for the permit. I bet they are really excited now.

    Your houses look great! Please tell me, is your e reader a Kindle and is it the one without the keyboard and what do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Miriam, your houses are lovely - I have the pattern but not made any as yet. Hope the building goes well for your DD and DSIL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little houses are just as cute as they can be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, Miriam...You're killing me! Those little houses look fantastic. I SOOO want to join in, but my history of such BIG projects hasn't been great. Must finish UFO's.... LOVE LOVE those houses so far!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year! Cute houses.
    I made one yesterday. I have decided to make one a month. I am paper piecing mine which is not my favorite technique and the pieces seem so small to hand piece. Anyway I will have a very cute little house quilt at the end of the year. I hope to do a post tomorrow, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your houses are adorable!! Imagine a whole quilt made with red and white house blocks :0) I look forward to watching your progress.
    I just made a pouch for a Kobo e-reader last week - I should post it too. You've used lovely fabric for yours.

    ReplyDelete