Saturday, April 19, 2014

Piecing, plenty of applique (with some tips) and AQC







The last couple of weeks have been quite busy here, so not very much sewing has been happening. Above is my latest finished Jane Pizar block. These blocks are fun to make; especially choosing all the fabrics. JP blocks finish at 9 inches and are all hand pieced or appliqued.

I have made a good start on this month's Noah and Matilda blocks. The first is finished.





The next block I am working on has 30 something berries that will be less than 1/2 inch in diameter. To stuff or not to stuff.....that is the question!! Lol

My first completed block every month is always the Chester Criswell block.





This month it is block 20, Margaretta Harris's block.

This is how I prepared this block.  I started by tracing 1/4 of the block onto freezer paper, then folding the FP in 4 and stapling the 4 layers together to keep them from slipping as I cut the shapes out.





I only partially cut along each channel.

Next I ironed the fp onto the fabric





and traced along all the stitching lines.





Next I joined all the lines and basted around each ring of fabric that would be staying.





Before stitching I cut out the centre, leaving a seam allowance to turn under. Each channel was then carefully cut in turn, starting at the innermost channel, before it was stitched.


For the outermost channel I pinned the tip of each curve to keep it in place while I stitched.

And finished!!!


Last week Melbourne hosted the 10th annual Australasian Quilt Convention.





The quilt which won the National Best of Australia award was made by Janet Treen (Quiltsalott blog). Photos of the quilt on Janet's blog here.

I bought one pattern..





The pattern is based on a small section of the Rajah Quilt which is held in the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra.

I purchased a few smaller pieces of fabric, mainly for Jane Pizar.



Wishing everyone a Happy and Blessed Easter.


11 comments:

  1. I'm sure you enjoyed appliquéing that block......it looks so good. You JP block is lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips on making the Criswell block. I have not done any of this year's blocks though all of the first year. But then I did a marathon of sewing to do the last several of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Jane Pizar block! It's fun to see what different projects come form different countries. I have learned that I love the Dutch chintz fabrics but they aren't readily availeble in my area (I need to do some internet shopping).
    Your blocks always inspire me and your skill is top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing your newest applique blocks. Margaretta Harris' block is just gorgeous. It reminds me of a lace doily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful blocks!! Lovely the red applique - wow your stitching is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I e been working on my Noah and Matilda blocks as well. I'm ready to tackle the grapes too. Your appliqué is always so beautiful. Janet's quilt is absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours you are using for Jane Pizar - always a treat to see another one. I admire your discipline in making the CCCQ blocks at the start of the month :) Thanks for sharing your process, looks more than tricky to prepare - and sew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your CCCQ blocks - I'm always learn something from your photos! Your fabric purchases from the AQC look great. I didn't go this year - but I did have a day with Di Ford at Castlemaine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The r&w applique block is pretty darn amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LoL ... I stuffed :-)
    Nice to see an official Rajah pattern. I saw the quilt when it was in the UK.
    Lovely fabric selections!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that sure is lots of work to do the circle piece but so worth it as it looks great...........

    ReplyDelete