Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New Block of the Month.

For quite some time I have been admiring lots of red and green quilts I have seen on blogs and the Internet in general.

Recently I have been drawn to one in particular. Partly because the patterns are coming out as a block of the month, partly because it is an appliqued quilt, but mostly because of the story behind the original quilt.  The Chester County Criswell Quilt was made in the 1850s in Pennsylvania as a wedding quilt. The blocks on this friendship quilt were all made by different people and all are appliqued signature blocks. The quilt now is in Australia and lives with the Great Great Grand daughter of the bride who the quilt was made for. (click on the link above and scroll down to read more about the quilt's history) Sharon is going to share photos of completed blocks on her blog.

I completed the first block last night.



The fabric in this block is from the Friendship collection. I used needleturn applique to stitch the block.

I plan to use different backgrounds for each block.



For the sake of completeness ( and my perfectionist tendencies!!), I remade one of my Blogger's BOM blocks. Thank you to Debbie for pointing out my "blooper"!!! I didn't notice until you pointed it out.
Here is the block with everything the right way around!



The sun is shining here. Spring is on its way!

Have a great day everyone!




10 comments:

  1. Neat block and I went to the link to see the quilt. Really fabulous. Have fun putting this one together.
    I need to catch up on my Blogger BOM. I think I am one behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done such a nice job Miriam, your needle turn is better than mine . I am so excited to see my pattern made by someone else, thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a beautiful job on the 1st block. I have also started this quilt and I am about half way through the first block. I am finding those small inner curves quite challenging, yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to this wonderful quilt. If I can't join in at least I can follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful shade of red. Your applique is always so precise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, can't wait to see that red and green quilt -- your applique block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block is beautiful!! It looks rather challenging. Those Friendship reds are wonderful. I look forward to enjoying your progress :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your red applique block Miriam, would love to see it Mon pm if you are coming? I must get onto my bloggers bom blocks, yours is gorgeous, love the blues. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your appliqué is just heavenly Miriam! I can't wait to see your blocks as you complete them, see you soon mx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The signature project looks like fun! Very nice needleturn.

    ReplyDelete