Sunday, November 2, 2014

October finishes



The boat quilt for my grandson is finished. This quilt will be for his cot.

It is quilted simply with stitch-in-the-ditch around each boat and a wave shape on each alternate block.



I used a fabric with all over boats for the backing and I even found a preprinted label with a boat.



All soft and crinkly after a wash.




This months CCCQ block looked deceptively simple....



Block 25, Sarah Stubbs' block.

All those curves took a while to stitch.

I'm looking forward to making Block 26 this month; Love the pattern of this one!


I just managed to complete my Noah and Matilda blocks on the last day of October! There were only 3 blocks this month and the first 2 didn't take me too long.



Cactus Vase.


Mexican Rose.



I procrastinated over the third block! lol

Pineapple.



Not perfect, but done.

Dawn has posted photos of her blocks for November. I'm looking forward to making these. The 3rd one looks a bit of a challenge.....but  I love a challenge!! :)

Mid month also brought my next installment of Cotton and Steel fabrics.


(only 11 fabrics here. Somehow I left one out after admiring them all!)

I've started cutting out hexies from some of these fabrics. I need about 100, so a little way to go yet. These are 2 1/4 inches. The top and bottom fabrics in the left column are Maze and Vale fabrics. I think they make perfect partners for Cotton and Steel.




Yesterday we had a visit from a dear friend who has just come back from several weeks overseas. She brought back these books she found in a small town in Sussex, England.


Perfect reading for a cold and damp Sunday.  Looks like there is lots of inspiration behind those covers. :)

Have a great Sunday, everyone! :)

10 comments:

  1. The punch of red for a couple of the sail boats works very well. The backing fabric is the perfect complement to the front of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sail boat quilt is delightful - I made one like that a long time ago for a nephew and he loved it - those applique blocks are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your sailboat quilt is adorable! i love the red boats and the texture
    beautiful applique blocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a lovely finish for your grandson, I love the quilted wave in the alternate blocks. That CCCQ block does look challenging- I'm so behind! Love the N&T blocks, great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sailboat quilt turned out great! It reminds me that I have some sailboat blocks that need to be made into a quilt. I LOVE that mexican rose block -- SO pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is adorable! Your applique looks impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely quilt for a very special grandson. You must have such a collection of beautiful appliqué blocks. A nice change of scenery with those more modern fabrics. There are such gorgeous ranges available at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sail boat quilt really came together great! I love the fabrics, wave quilting and of course the label. What a treasure!
    Great appliqué! So glad you like a challenge.
    The books look great, I have a stack for this winter to plow through. The color one looks fabulous.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete