Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Back again!!! With stitching and a review of Tulip Needles.

Well, March has zoomed by and we are into the 2nd half of April already!
March was a bit hectic around here and I ended up getting sick earlier this month. I'm well on the road to recovery now! :)

A little down time has meant I have been able to catch up on some sewing.

Last week I finished sewing together all 8 sections on my Lone Star.



Next will be the setting squares and triangles. I am still deciding whether to applique some smaller stars on the background fabric.

I've managed to keep up with the Chester Criswell blocks.

Block 30



and block 31.


Only 2 more blocks to go!!!


I have completed one more block for Citrus Sweet Love.



The next block is half finished. I hope to get that one done tonight.

For Noah and Matilda I have made a little pile of purple grapes for the border. Lots more to go! I have extra fabric for the vines coming in the post, so when that arrives Noah and Matilda will be full steam ahead again!

Recently I purchased a set of Tulip Needles. They are beautifully packaged!

Sorry the photo is up side down!!

I have tried a few of them now.

The sewing needles are no. 9 and are a bit thicker than I am used to using. The gold eye is easy to thread and think they will be good to use for general sewing.

The milliners needles come in 3 sizes. I choose the finest needle to try out. It is a longer needle with a small eye. I didn't have trouble threading Aurfil 50. The needle has some "flex".

So far my favourite needle is the applique needle. It is shorter than the milliners, but has a much larger eye.
I have used both Aurifil 50 for piecing and YLI silk for applique using the milliners and the applique needle. Both needles have "flex" and are nice and thin. When I first started using the needles I encountered some "resistance" to the needles passing through the fabric. However, I persevered with stitching to give the needles a good try out. I am wondering if there is some kind of coating on the needles because after some use they become much easier to pass through the fabric. I had no trouble finding the only needle I had used after it had been put back with all the others.


I hope everyone is finding lots of stitching time! :)


15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you were unwell but good to see that you kept up with your stitching. Interested to read about the Tulip needles. I was almost tempted but resisted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Lone Star looks great. You did well to find a dry spot to take a photo today! Lovely applique blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The appliqué blocks are lovely. I need to get N & M back out. The grapes have caused me to look away. Your Lone Star is gorgeous. It radiates out like a glorious sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Tulip appliqué needles but haven’t tried the other sizes.
    Your CC blocks look great. I have 3 borders stitched on my N&M but not the vine as I am going to stitch it after the borders are on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pleasure as always to see your progress - the lone star is stunning! It is going to be a very special quilt. Interesting to hear your needle experiments. I often find new needles (especially with hand quilting) have an initial resistance but then lose the friction after a bit of use...and I try any brands I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of Tulip needles. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you are doing ok now, I have heard of a lot of people getting sick this past several months. Love your applique blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your enforced rest has been well spent I see. Your star is looking wonderful. Can you bring your needles next time so I can have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that you have been un well Miriam, fortunately you were able to keep sewing. Always great to see your CCCQ bocks, I admire your perserverance with this project over 3 years. I purchased some sashiko Tulip needles at AQC and they glide through fabric beautifully.Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're making good progress on all of your projects -- your lone star is beautiful! Glad to hear you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There you are! Sorry you'd been unwell, and glad you are back into the swing! Love your projects, esp. Your Chester Criswell blocks. I certainly am looking forward to seeing them all together! Tulip needles?

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad you are well now...........lovely blocks.............interesting about the needles.........I think I have one of that brand for my sashiko..........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see your CCCQ blocks - thank you for the link on my blog. Hope to see them in person soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such lovely blocks and I've been wanting to hear about those needles. Thanks for the review. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome work keeping up on CCC and so many lovely projects! I noticed that your block #30 and mine are the exact same fabric! How amazing - lol- It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete