Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Piecing and Applique

There is not as much time spent stitching around here these days, but I am still managing to fit plenty in.

Last week we went for a long drive and I attempted, for the first time, to hand piece in the car. I can't read while the car is moving, so I was quite surprised to discover I could stitch!
The extra stitching time meant I could make lots of progress on my lone star. I finished the first diamond a couple of days ago.



Two of the rows are fussy cut from one piece of fabric.




Luckily for me there is only a tiny amount of wastage from the floral fabric.

My Noah and Matilda BOM is going well.  I have completed 3 blocks...



Those circles of fabric on the bottom right will be made in to tiny purple grapes. There are 67 of them!!! I usually use Perfect Circles to make circles, however these need an even smaller circle than the smallest I have.  I'm still trying to figure out how I will make them.

I have finally finished part 1 of Di Ford's mystery quilt for Quiltmania.



Slow progress has been made on preparing the circles for part 2.


Now, I don't really need another project to work on, but I started another little quilt for my grandson.
This one will be totally machine pieced, so won't take too long to complete. I've made 2 of 15 of the pieced blocks...



The alternating blocks are plain.

I first saw the quilt on the Instagram page of @messyjesse1. The pattern is from Quiltmag.com and search "nautical".
I will be making a smaller version.

Have a great week everyone.


16 comments:

  1. I am lucky I can read and piece in the car but most of the time I just look at the scenery! you have gotten a bit done haven't you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been wonderfully busy!

    Love the fussy cuts in your Lone Star section! Noah & Matilda are looking wonderful and those sailboats are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you, I can't read in the car, but I've recently discovered that I can piece. Although, I have to remind myself to look up once in awhile -- I do love a good road trip and I hate to miss the scenery. Looks like you have lots of wonderful projects going on -- can't wait to see that Lone Star develop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you've accomplished a lot. Love seeing the fussy cutting in the lone star. I use the Perfect Circle templates too and decided I couldn't go any smaller than the smallest one in the set. That's as tiny as I can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! I haven't mastered stitching in the car unfortunately. Good to see you're finding a little time for some stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm aways so taken with your color schemes. Your Lone Star is going to be gorgeous and I can't wait to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post, loved seeing all the progress on your multiple WIP's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy hands, happy hearts! Your projects are going well it appears. I think starting a new project for a wee little one is necessary. Adorable boats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely projects - so inspiring as always! That star is going to be just stunning in these lovely warm colours. love the fussy cutting - you clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful diamond piecing!! How do you subscribe to Quiltmag.com? I googled and cannot find it? hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always lots to see on your blog. The lone star is so neat! How did you ever make those points meet up so well? Have you checked out the Quilt mania blog? They have some great videos on how to make the mystery quilt you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the colors of your lone star - great job hand piecing!
    cute sailboats :) for your grandson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous fussy cutting and piecing on the lone star. That's great that you have found more time to sew by being able to piece in the car, I must try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miriam! I was just blog hopping and happened to come across your lovely blog - and couldn't help but notice your very cute boat blocks!! Yay, I'm so glad you are joining in the #naturallynauticalquiltalong!! Mine is currently waiting to be quilted, always a long and tedious process for me! I look forward to keeping up with your posts, from your newest blog follower :-) (@messyjesse1 from IG) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sailboats for your grandson, what fun!!
    Love the colors in the diamonds.
    I'm glad I had smaller grapes in my William Morris quilt before I did my Noah and Matilda grapes. I needle turned my purple ones. The green ones I back basted.
    Enjoy!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your colors on the lone star diamond. It is looking awesome. How fun to stitch in the car!

    ReplyDelete