Friday, July 11, 2014

Starts, finishes and a little progress.

Hello! Is there anyone out there?

Its been a while since I posted here, but there has been some sewing happening, between visits to my DD and her new son.

My latest start is on a Lone Star quilt. I have been waning to make a lone star quilt for a very long time. Several of the ladies in the Friday Girls at Somerset sewing group I am a part of started lone star quilts, so I decided to join in.

So far I have the diamonds cut out for one of the 8 wedges.


The red block will be the centre of the star.

I am using a mixture of old and new fabrics.

I had some help to arrange the "swirl" diamonds so they will make a continuous path around the star.


Today I sewed together just 2 of the 9 strips.
It has been a long time since I did much hand piecing. It feels great to be piecing again!


I have finished appliqueing the latest CCCQ block.


Block 23 Mary Watkins.


Last night I finished making templates and chose all the fabrics for the next 4 Noah and Matilda blocks.



A couple of weeks ago the Quilt and Craft Fair was here in Melbourne.

I bought this pattern.



Last year this quilt was offered as a BOM by two (Cathy) ladies  (Emma) at Treehouse Textiles. This year the pattern is available. I will be using the Cotton+Steel fabrics I won earlier this year.

I also found these needles. Isn't this cute packaging....



These are a size 10 Applique needle. They aren't as fine as the size 12 needles I have been using recently, but the have a larger eye (much easier for threading) and do feel good as they glide through the fabric.

I bought another pattern at the show. This one is to make a cloth book for my Grandson. So far I prepared 5 pages and the cover ready to stitch. I will be using blanket stitch on my sewing machine to stitch these down.


Slow progress is happening with Mountmellick. I have completed stitching down all the flowers. Next will be the border and the corner hexagons with the leaves. This version is using the BOM fabrics supplied by Threadbear.




And just one photo of my grandson earlier this week. :)





11 comments:

  1. I have you on my feedly reader so I see when you do post. It looks like you have been busy! - what a cute baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, what a cute little smile from your grandbaby -- I'll bet you have a wonderful time with him! It looks like you have a lot of wonderful projects on the go. I'm anxious to see your lone star progress -- I've always wanted to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on all your projects.
    Grandchildren are the gifts we get for getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made 2 of Debbie Maddy's HST Lone Star quilts and now need to do the "original" one. Yours will be pretty. Nice Applique block.
    Your Di Ford and mine are about in the same "slow" pace. Life got in the way, but I, too, am back into my Blog and catching up. Keep up the good work. Missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't life exciting with grand babies! I just got a package of those needles too. I'm anxious to try them. Aren't girl friends great for helping you start a new project. Love everything you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see that Lone Star progress - I would love to do one of these one day too. You have some beautiful fabrics choices there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy as usual, I can see. I'm also working on a Lone Star. I made my diamonds way too big and it's huge now. Love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always lovely things to see on your blog.
    Your grandson surely is a very handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only imagine how wonderful it is being a Grandma. He's darling. I've been wanting to try those needles. I recently heard about them at Quilt Market. Thanks for the review. Your applique always amazes me but I'm loving your Lone Star. Can't wait to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy with beautiful projects. I love your Lone Star fabric choices. Your grandson is a cutie pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandson is gorgeous, he'll love the number book you're making for him. I can see you've not been idle, the lone star is going to be a wow quilt one day and I'm happy to see your applique any time.

    ReplyDelete