Saturday, March 9, 2013

Piecing

Lots of piecing! Machine, by hand and english paper piecing.

Starting with machine piecing, below is my 3rd block for Monique Dillard's Blogger Girls Block of the Month.  I enjoyed choosing all the fabrics and the fussy cutting with this one.  These blocks are 12 inches finished.





The flying geese in my last post now are these 6 inch blocks...








I still have lots more to make.

Now for the hand piecing.

I am still well ahead of my goal of one delectable mountain block a week. Here are some of the most recent finishes,






Late last year I won a bag of scraps from Christine. I have taken some time to think about how I would use them. I wanted to make a lone star of some sort, so I chose one of the lone star blocks from the Morrell Quilt for the centre.






Many of the Morrell blocks have a saw tooth border, but I decide to do half square triangles for this block. I am still trying to decide what to do next. Maybe 9 patches. Any suggestions???

Recently Karen at Somerset had  some more of these little bags arrive.  They are perfect for holding sewing notions.



Several of us Friday girls now have one of these bags, so some of us have added something extra to make them individual.

This afternoon I finished this little block which I will applique to one side of the bag.





If you have made the Nearly Insane quilt you may recognise the centre section (up to and including the flying geese) as the centre from block 22.  I love these fabrics!!! They are from Jo Morton's Square in Square line.
(scroll to page 4 to see all the fabrics in the line)

Have a look here to see what Dorothy did with her bag! :)

One day I will get back to my Nearly Insane blocks! I think I have 8 finished; and  long way to go!

This English paper piecing project has been going for a while and I finised one section of it a little while ago. You may remember seeing some little half inch hexies on my blog last year. Slowly they have been joined together to make one side of this purse from Brigitte Giblin.



A little closer look at the fabrics.....





Every one of those fabrics are from the scraps left from the Morrell quilt BOM.

I have started the 2nd side, but it is slow going!

Next post I hope to have some appplique to show.

Here in Melbourne at the moment we are trying to keep cool. We are on to day 6 of an expected 10 day run of temperatures over 30 C (86F). Today was 36C  (96F) here and we expect about the same for Monday to Wednesday next week. Night times are not getting below 20 C (68F). Very unusual for March!

Have a great weekend everyone. Especially those of us who will have an extra day with our Labour Day holiday on Monday.

12 comments:

  1. it looks like you have been very busy with little bits haven't you. Love the hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of progress Miriam! I can't wait to see your little bag finished. What a good idea.
    You really should get back to your NI....I loved making mine.
    Your hexies almost make me want to start some of my own with little scraps....almost, lol
    I feel your pain with the hot temps.....we will have them here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- you have a lot of beautiful projects going on. I LOVE that new little lone star block. And can't wait to see your little stitching bag finished -- what a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely stitching you have been doing!! I love that piece for the side of the bag - it's gorgeous! Your hexies are very wonderful and tiny - wow! I enjoy seeing your mountain blocks too - wish I had time to join along in that one :0) It's hard to imagine heat like that - I'm going tobagganing with my kids this morning. I hope it cools off for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely projects - plenty of variety! I love your little hexagons - great colours and lovely fabrics. Your sewing bag is going to look wonderful, and it is a pleasure to watch your progress on the delectable mountains:)
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely projects as always Miriam. Love you nearly insane block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the fabrics you are using for the delectable mountain blocks!
    The first thing I thought of was to turn the star on point and use a large print/stripe fabric for setting triangles. I'm sure whatever you decide on will be fabulous.
    When you are done with them you will have a gorgeous bag and purse. What a way to make something fancy!
    Sorry to hear you are in the middle of a heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is always spectacular. Those itty bitty hexies are definitely insane! As we long for warmth it would be nice of we could trade a few degrees with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fussing cutting looks great and add so much to your block.
    I LOVE your hexies, great colors and movement.
    Can't wait to see the patchwork on that bag, what a great idea.
    The book arrived yesterday thank you thank you! It is wonderful and the needles too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your Blogger Girls block, the choice of fabric and fussy cutting are just perfect. What a great idea to use all the scraps of your Morrell to make the hexie bag, it'll be well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, you have been very busy. Remarkable, given the heat wave. Love the first block. Gorgeous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those little mountain blocks are truly delectable:-) The fussy cutting is really effective too!

    ReplyDelete