Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One Flower Wednesday

My first hexie flower for Spring. My first hexie flower for quite some time!!

Below are all the hexie flowers I have made so far.

Here is my second dresden plate block. I have 2 more cut out ready to stitch.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

It looks like a fabric bomb has gone off here!!!!

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I have had very little time for sewing or blogging. I have been busy with other things. This weekend I am making up for lost time! Lots of sewing and preparation has been happening here over the last 2 days . :) I have pulled out several projects and lots of fabric.

The Morrell block above is my latest finish. Yesterday and Friday I prepared the next 6 Morrell blocks. Now I have plenty to keep me occupied for the next little while.

I also finished off block 3 of Tail Feathers (below) and prepared block 4.

I hope to get at least one flower made for One Flower Wednesday by Wednesday.

Later today I hope to prepare another few blocks for Jacobs Coat.

A couple of weeks ago I entered a giveaway on the Minick and Simpson blog. They were giving away scraps (their words!!) from their latest range of fabrics called Charlevoix. I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the winners. :)

Below is the huge bag of fabric they sent, along with one of their patterns they also included.
Thank you Laurie!!!

Well, last night I started to think about what I might make with all that fabric. I had ideas about something with lots of triangles. I pulled out a book of block patterns (The Quilter's Block Bible) that had been given to me by a friend. I wanted to chose a block that was designed in an era that matched the fabrics (The information on the selvedge says 1910 - 1935) There were lots of blocks to chose from and I made a long list. Several of the blocks had lots of triangles and looked good. I kept looking through the book and the second last design was a dresden plate. I have never made a dresden plate block before. I am not one to back away from something new, so I changed my mind about triangles and decided on a dresden plate block design.

Below is what I came up with. I was sewing till one o'clock this morning (I just had to get one finished!), so it is not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out.

Isn't the fabric gorgeous!

There is so much fabric in that bag that I will still be able to make something with triangles too.
Stay tuned.

Here are a couple of photos from one of the places we visited this week. The views were wonderful even though the weather was cold and windy.

Just a couple of spring flowers in my garden.

Rhododendron Bibiani.


I hope to be back reading and commenting on blogs this week, but now it is back to sewing for me!! :)

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Irish Chain block finished!!!!

It took a while, but its done!!!

So far this block is the only machine pieced block in my Morrell Quilt. We were given instructions for a "short cut" method using machine piecing, so I decided that option looked a lot more manageable than hand piecing 381 one inch squares of fabric!!!! Yes, there are 381 pieces in that 10 inch block!

The next 2 blocks took substantially less time to complete!

I have a broderie perse block almost finished and another one prepared ready to go.

It is the 2nd day of Spring here in Melbourne. My plum tree is covered in blossom.

We had a clear sun rise this morning and some more hints of sun during the day. Temperatures are warming up. However, we are expecting lots of rain over the weekend. Sounds like perfect quilting weather to me!! :)