Here are my next 2 blocks for the Blogger's BOM organised by Jackie of Canton Village Quilt Works. This month's block was designed by Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fibre. Click here to go to Jackie's post with a list of all the contributing bloggers.
I have started the next block of Friends of Baltimore. Below is a progress photo.
Still a long way to go!
Today I started my next Roseville Album block. Much larger pieces of fabric in this one! Lol
I have also done a little bit more to my medallion....
Yesterday I went to Bendigo with my DD to see the White Wedding Dress exhibition. The majority of the exhibition was from a collection brought to Australia from the V and A in London. A small selection of Australian bridal fashion was also shown.
It was a fascinating display of old and new wedding fashion spanning 200 years. Alongside gowns by couturiers as diverse as Charles Frederick Worth, Norman Hartnell, Vivienne Westwood and Vera Wang were creations lovingly made and passed down by families both in the United Kingdom and Australia. Old and new were displayed next to a dress made from curtain fabric during war time rationing and a beaded gown with a 12 foot train. There were stunning appliqued lace veils and hand made satin shoes. Modern Australian bridal wear was represented by several designers including Melbourne's Gwendolynne Burkin, Toni Maticevski and milliner Richard Nylon and Akira Isogawa from Sydney.
All of the older gowns and many of the newer ones were displayed in glass cases. For us there were several "how did they make that!" moments where we would have loved to be able to look at the dresses more closely. (from the inside!) Some of the designs were amazing!
It was wonderful to see that some of the dresses had been kept by families for over 100 years.
There is a book published by the V and A that shows a greater proportion of their wedding fashion collection.
On the way home we detoured via Castlemaine to visit Threadbear. (of course!)
I have started collecting fabrics to join in with Janet's quilt along to make a version of Susan McCord's Trailing Vines. I found the "perfect" backing fabric here during the week. That is the fabric on the right in the photo below.
The red and green fabrics on the left (for the sashing and vines) and the "bee" fabric (for the background) I found yesterday.
It is great to be sewing again!! :)