Sunday, November 8, 2015

I'm back, with a new project and much more...

Well, it has been far too long since I updated my blog! There has been plenty of sewing happening, so I will start with my most recent start and come back with some more posts of what else I have been doing.



I have bitten by the clamshell bug!! I have never made clamshells before, so got some advice from others about what might be the best way to go.

I decided to make my own clamshell template from template plastic. I found an old Mathomat one of the kids used at school to draw a 2 inch clamshell.



Next I traced several clamshells on to freezer paper and tried applying spray starch with a paint brush and ironing over the curved edges. I didn't have much success with this. The freezer paper got soggy and stretched. Now I am using glue to stick down the folded edge.



I plan to make just a small quilt with an Alison Glass Ex Libris in the centre and surrounded by clamshells. I have an Alison Glass border fabric that I plan to use also.



For the clamshells so far I have chosen a mixture of Alison Glass, Cotton and Steel, Karen Lewis Textiles and Maze and Vale fabrics.



Since I finished the 2 quilt tops in my previous posts, I have mostly stuck to making progress on 2 projects.

The first is a new project using a pattern by Jen Kingwell. My Small World originally appeared in the Spring 2015 edition of Quiltmania. It is now available as a separate pattern. Below are parts 1 and 2 completed. I have almost finished part 3. I will do a new post about this quilt. Its been lots of fun!



I  have been continuing to work on Mountmellick, Di Ford's mystery quilt from Quiltmania last year. These little blocks are for Part 4. I have 2 sides attached and just the other 2 to sew on. Stand by for a separate post about Mountmellick too!



You may notice the photo above was taken in a plane. We recently had a short holiday in Tokyo. There was some fabric shopping in amongst all the sightseeing!! Of course there will be a post about our experience in Tokyo too!!!

Back soon! :)

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you are up and running again. You have been busy, I have not seen half of what you are doing, manly that last piece. I think we will need a show and tell....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IG has had a huge impact on blogs,don't you think? When I made my clamshells for the "My Small World" quilt I fuse a number of freezer paper templates together. They didn't get soggy. I also used Best Press which I found far more efficient that Fabulon! Love the Alison Glass centre panel too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects! So bright and colorful. Glad you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Welcome back! Love your new projects! I'd like to try clamshells! Can't wait to hear about your holiday in Tokyo! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Miriam, can't wait to see all your new projects in person!

    ReplyDelete